Visit Harford Tourism Development and
Sports Marketing Associate
Organization Description: Visit Harford is Harford County, Maryland’s Official Destination Marketing Organization. We are a non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of Harford County and its tourism attractions to visitors to stimulate economic activity for the enhanced quality of life of all Harford County citizens.
Job Description: The Tourism Development and Sports Marketing Associate will be responsible for promoting Harford County as a premier destination for sports, group tours and events to increase travel-related revenues and overnight stays within the county. This position reports to the Executive Director and Office Manager. This position oversees sports and group tour event development activities including:
• Establish strong relationships with key officials, sports decision makers and group tour leaders of regional and national organizations, leagues, conferences, and associations.
• Attend sports, group tour, event-related tradeshows, and meetings to promote Visit Harford to the sports, group tour and event market with appropriate follow-up.
• Develop “homegrown” sports tournaments. This includes format development; budgeting; marketing; securing facilities, sponsorships, scheduling, and logistics; and involving local sports support organizations to execute these events.
• Prepare and deliver effective sales presentations to site selection committees.
• Serve on key committees responsible for bringing sports, events, and group tours to Harford County.
• Maintain a sports and events database that includes pertinent information for sports organizations, leagues, teams, and event committees that could potentially bring events to Harford County.
• Evaluate and assess estimated economic impact of potential sports, events, group tours and report actual economic impact of booked events.
• Develop a marketing plan to position Harford County as a viable location for sports, group tours and other events.
• Place, track, monitor, edit, and develop new Visitor Harford Sports and Group Tour marketing materials as directed by the Executive Director.
• Any other duties that may be assigned by the Executive Director and Office Manager.
•Attend educational seminars/conferences, as necessary.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in marketing, preferred in sports marketing or equivalent number of years related work experience which evidences knowledge of the sports tourism and group tour industry. One to three years tourism experience preferred.
• Ability to follow through with projects, work with minimal supervision, and judge priority of goals and assignments.
• Ability to work weekends and evenings as needed for supervision of events and willingness to take part in occasional travel.
•Considerable knowledge of personal computers and attendant PC hardware such as printers, scanners, etc.
•Possess enthusiasm for the community, understand the value of tourism, and can lead and motivate the community’s stakeholders to embrace the County’s sports and group tour marketing initiatives.
•Knowledge of basic web site programming and tourism related software.
• Ability to learn and adapt to advances in computer and electronics device technology and software, including Visit Harford’s (DMS) system – (i.e., Simpleview)
• Knowledge of the use of the Internet and digital communications and apps that may be utilized in carrying out the duties of the position.
• Ability to present ideas and programs in a persuasive manner, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to deal effectively with the general public including individuals from a wide range of social and economic backgrounds.
• Ability to work projects with demanding time deadlines.
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and with written communications.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license’
Benefits: This is an hourly position with an exempt status. A full benefit package of insurance, vacation, and sick leave is provided.
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letters and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org